Friday 18 September 2015

Life gym; but not as we know it

Today was day five of the Erin Stern Elite workout and it was absolutely terrible. After day three's rather disappointing cardio session, I took a rest on day four because I didn't feel in the right frame of mind for the gym. I was late finishing work so I decided to cut my losses and go home and watch the football instead.

To make up for the missed day, I resolved to combine day four with day six's cardio session as I play football after work on Friday. I should have been attempting a back routine but as a friend is doing the same session tomorrow, I agreed to swap it for a chest and shoulder routine so that we could do the back session together.

Ever since I began using the gym, I have struggled to make any progress with upper body strength and I find it exceedingly frustrating. Today was one of the worst gym session I have ever had. I was well below even my usual inept bench press mark and I failed to make it anywhere near the personal best I set in the dumbbell shoulder press last time out. I ended the session rather deflated, wondering if it was worth all the time and effort.

Unfortunately, football didn't improve my mood either. Our usually competitive game was rather one sided, I received a dead leg five minutes into the game and we had less than 35 minutes playing time as someone had booked the pitch straight after us. I don't think I raised a sweat during the whole game so as a cardio exercise it was pretty pointless. If I hadn't received a dead leg, I would have gone for a run after it.

Everyone has bad gym sessions but knowing that doesn't make them any easier to accept. As things have gone so poorly, I've decided to add an extra session on Sunday with some chest, abs and cardio sessions. At least tomorrow is a new gym day...





No comments:

Post a Comment